Obesity is a problem to our children. As a nanny I did find my charges would eat more for me than the parents. As a parent my son ate more for his nanny than me ! So nannies help children enjoy healthy balanced meals. It does not have to be expensive so I am going to regularly share recipes I cook and price it out.
Chicken thighs: 10 pieces: £4.00 4 pieces used £1.60
Organic carrots 12 £1.00 3 used: 36p
Potatoes £99p 2 used 25p
1 onion; pack of 8 89p 1 used 11p
Broccoli 59p ½ used 30p
Cauliflower 50p ½ used 30p
1 pepper 40p ½ used 20p
Herbs from garden
Used Thyme, sage and bay Free
Tomatoes 50p 10p
Total cost for 2 people: £3.22
Making the chicken bake:
- Place chicken in a good size dish prepared to put in oven on 180
- Cut up the carrots, potatoes and broccoli, cauliflower. Cook in pan for approx. 10 minutes so not too soft
- Peel and cut up onion with pepper cook with a little coconut oil until soft.
- Before placing the chicken in the oven add the herbs. If you don’t have any at home buy a small mixed pack. Place the chicken in the oven with the potatoes until cooked and looking crisp (usually about 30-40 minutes dependant on oven)
- Once out the oven, add the vegetables and heat along with the chicken and potatoes and put back in oven for 10 minutes.
If a sauce is required just make your own using a small amount of butter, flour, and milk. Heat the butter about the size of a walnut, add a tablespoon of flour heat and stir until combined. Gradually add milk to the thickness you prefer. I normally add turmeric to this, but you can choose any ingredients if you like garlic and or herbs. Cost is minimal
Healthy food at a small cost.